Saturday, May 02, 2009

Seminar, presentation, whatever

I've conducted a microarray seminar in UPM last Thursday, was handling a good two hours of talk for a group of nearly 20 PhD students and researchers, and to make it worse this is not the usual sales presentation or company profile presentation, but a scientific/acedemic presentation.

It really reminded me of my presentation nightmare in my student days, wherenever people set their eyes on me, for some reason, my speech ability will get impaired and the left hemisphere of my brain will get paralyzed and turns to a complete blurry state. I still remember in my first or second year of college study, i was suddenly called by my lecturer to participate for an ad hoc English debates in one of the scientific english classes. It was the most embarassing moment in my whole life, cuz i can barely construct a sentence which making any sense at all (of course during that time i wasnt well versed in English), and i was haunted by the feeling of inferiority for a good 4 years of my college life because of the incident.

Anyway this time around, the nervous feelings was exactly the same as what i had experienced 6-8 years back. The only difference was that, i managed to pull it through this time. The whole session was pretty interactive and thank God, i managed to handle all the questions from the tough cookies. I guess the 2 years on-the-field actual experience which i've gained through my daily job had really improved my people/soft skill.

Anyway, the so called token of appreciation which i had received was quite unexpected, neither in a good way nor a bad way-It was a wooden frame with UPM emblem on it, with no acknowledgement/word of thank you mentioned.


Can someone tell me what should i do with it?

4 comments:

Xavier said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Xav_Kim said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Xav_Kim said...

Dear Aunty Sue,

I need to conduct an induction on this week to foreigners as well.
I also nervous as most of my bosses will attend this 3 HOURS.

I just try to remind you that you are entitle to crown with "AUNTY" soon since you guys like to call me UNCLE. Once u get married, u ar AUNTY Sue and MUST give me ang pau!!! Then i will degrade become Little Kim ;p

chloe-kohyee said...

put this by ur bedside and use it to throw at burglars :)