Wednesday, March 11, 2009

The Hanoi trip Pt 1

I went for a backpack trip to Hanoi last weekend, it was short but really pleasant. When the wave of the hot air engulfed me the moment i stepped down from the plane embracing my home land again, the first thought that running through my mind was "sigh... i am back to the 30 degrees days again!". Back in the world of reality after being away for three days in a foreign land had really make my brain and my pace running slower, without my usual pre-planned and packed itinerary, i am sort of losing the track of time and it felt like the earth is rotating slower or even spinning in a totally different axis in Vietnam. For a second it makes me wonder whether did the weekend getaway really happened or it was just a dream.

Hallo Vietnam!!

Hanoi welcomed me with 18 degrees day the morning I reached the city, despite the pleasant chillness and the morning breeze, the tranquility of the morning was mixed with dust and endless honking sound. To be frank, the journey started and ended exactly with the honking sound. It’s such an annoyance that the drivers honked anytime and anywhere for no reason. I swear that even in the middle of night I can still heard someone honking on the street. Anyway, back to the first day morning. It was early, 8:30 am, but already i can see the amount of the vehicles lurking on the main road, motorbikes, bicycles, cyclos, taxis, and buses, rooming and honking their way through.Its pretty much unorganized and messy. However despite of how unorganized it was, at the same time, everything seems to fall in its places.

I am totally impressed with the Honoian women walking around the busy traffic with 10 kgs of goods in basket on both side, balanced deftly on a bambo lifter across their thin shoulders, with much ease.
Now and then you can also see some motorcyclist stopped by the road side buying the freshly baked bread from the old ladies. The charm and the touch of the locals reminds me of those P Ramli's monochromatic movie of the olden days.

Anyway, that’s my first impression of the city.

In order to feel and experience the Hanoian life, I’ve decided to have my 3 days 3 night stays in the old quarters, beside the famous Ho Kiem Lake which is exactly in the middle of the heart of the city. I am very much against 5 star hotel and pre arranged city tour package, its not that i 'm defying myself from luxurious enjoyment, back packing has always been my preferences since I’ve first started my back packing journey to London 4 years back. To have the local experience is what makes the whole trip different, to eat what the local eat and to see what the local see. Yes, the budget hotel and the downtown street can be dirty, and yes, its El stinko, however, if i want to be pampered and enjoy the queen like service, i might as well checked myself into the Hilton in KL Central instead of coming all the way to Hanoi.

The
City is a paradox.

The aftermath of French colonisation can be felt clearly in Hanoi. Being in the east and having influence from the west have made the city enjoy the best out of both. Artistic building in French Quarters makes you feel like in Paris, but 15 minutes away, you will also get the Old Quarters which was similar to Malaysia very own Petaling street. On one side of the road you will see the greenest and widest Paddy field that you have ever seen, and the other side, rows and rows of CANON/Panasonic factories are poisoning the view. Am enjoying the asean authentic cruisine a.k.a street food-pho (beef noodle) for lunch, and wine and dine in the finest French like restaurant at night.
Old quarterFrench quarter

Anyway this is just the opening to my series of flashbacks on Hanoi trip. All the photos above is courtesy of Google image. Am still waiting for my mate to transfer all the photos to me, once its done, i'll be back with a more visual description of my Hanoi moments.

1 comment:

Dorcas said...

wah so nice, take a break at vietnam, heard a lot of people say it's like heaven, tranquil.
love the pho too! We have quite a lot of vietmanist here, good food they have.
sorry have not reply your mail, been very busy lately!!!