Wednesday, December 01, 2010

Xian

Its a slang for boring by the way.

Life has been pretty mundane actually. Everyday is the same as yesterday, work, gym, watching downloaded drama series, weekend, gym, movie, dinner ....

Moving out/in and renovating the house has keep me occupied for a few months. Now, am slowly getting used to living alone (which is one of the best thing happen in my life!!), and since the excitement of moving in finally wear off, its kinda xian when everyday falls back to the same routine. It even felt like the empty pages in New Moon whereby Stephenie Myres had left it blank purposely to indicate how mundane Bella's life was after Edward left.

However, one thing which was constantly good even during these predictable days is my book reading. In fact, since i have move in 3 months ago, i have finished reading more than 10 books.

1. Sookie stakehouse series (book 1-9) by Charlaine Harris



I have a good time reading this. During those night when my adrenaline runs high, i will read 4 hours consecutively until my brain went numb. Its about this cheeky telepathic waitress named Sookie Stakehouse whom encountered all sort of adventures in the world of supernaturals (Vampires, warewolves, witches, fairies etc.). I love her spirits and agility. Am anxiously waiting for the tenth book "dead in the family" to be released now.

2. When God writes your love story by Eric and Leslie Ludy



Its a christian contemporary books on dating guide, its kinda 'mild' for me if you know what i'm saying, but i love the part whereby there are a sort of dialogue between male (Eric) and female (Leslie) which shows different perspective towards topics related to love.

3. Lovely Bones by Alice Sebold

It was a book whereby it took me a few nights just to get through first few chapters. Not because its bad, but because of the fact that the words was so real it sends shivers through my spines. Its about a 14-year-old girl named Susie Salmon who narrates the story from heaven after she is raped and murdered on her way home from school. As the girl adjusts in her own heaven, she watches her family members as they try to recover from the feelings of despair that have invaded their everyday lives after her death.

I have scenes and images running through my mind as though i am going through it myself since the book is written from the narration of the victim herself.

"We lay there as I shook, a powerful knowledge took hold. He had done this thing to me and I had lived. That was all. I was still breathing. I heard his heart. I smelled his breath. The dark earth surrounding us smelled like what it was, moist dirt where worms and animals lived their daily lives. I could have yelled for hours. I knew he was going to kill me. I did not realize then that I was an animal already dying..."

Reading this took me another 3 day before i can pick up the book again.

And no, i have yet to finish the book.

4. Vampire diaries series by LJ Smith
I know, i know. You will think that now i am a vampire fan or what (come to think about it, i finished all the twilight series, sookie stakehouse series and vampire diaries, cheesy..), actually i do like the thought of having the supernaturals co exist with human, it never occur to me that romance between two species (do you call it species?) can be quite addictive to read. Anyway, the story focus on Elena, a human who was turn to vampire by two vampire brothers, and her after life in a small town named Fells church. Anyway, it was interesting but too teenage-ish, like Sookie series, it focus alot on killings and blood sheds with a twist of romance in between, but somewhat less realistic compare to the former.

Anyway, anyone wanna join my book club?

4 comments:

chloe-kohyee said...

i wish i could read again...dunno why, lost the interest of reading after harry potter :(

i kinda like the lovely bones! lend it to me when i go back in jan ;)
finish it quick!

Dorcas said...

i love the lovely bones! I haven't watch the movie though, scared to be dissapointed!! Most often, the book tends to be better than the film.

donsam said...

i've got 'When God writes your love story' on my shelves.. its a good book...but.....

Atlantisian said...

ky: No problem. will definitely lend to you.

Dorcas: Yeah agreed with that, i havent watch the movie as well.