Monday, April 13, 2009

We are all visual animals

Kinda miss my long hair, now its short and hmmm well...... short.

Am looking at this photo we took in Singapore last christmas, and miss my long hair dearly.

A few days a go, my boss was looking at my face for quite a while (nearly caused me a nervous breakdown k) and said: "Susan you cut your hair is it?" Surprise, surprise, that was quite unexpected. Well, i admit that i am fairly diligent when it comes to work, but i am far from being a star performer or his favorite employee, and to be frank our usual scope of conversation only limited to work related topics, so its kinda surprise when he suddenly commented on my outlooks.

That reminds me of another incident happened last weekend.

I am shopping around with Peter when he saw this girl with long curly hair and very short STRAIGHT fringe, like those typical college girl who try to imitate the Japanese 'kawaii' style or babydoll look. And he asked me what i think about that kinda of hair style, well, i told him its nice but wouldnt suit me cuz my hair can never be that fluffy unless i did hair extension. The conversation ended there cuz i am least interest in discussing about another person hair (especially when it reminds me of the Beatles's hairstyle in the good old days).

Anyway, it makes me ponder, human is such a visual animal, arent we? We can spot the difference of a person's external appearance in a short glance. Whether he/she become chubbier, hair shorter/longer, bigger pores, more freckles, heavier makeup etc. and whether you like it or not, sometimes the first impression do last, especially those with a more visual appealing features. Majority of us have the habit of seeing a person and make snap judgments about them.

"She looks like a bimbo, probably she is the ah lien type"
"He looks nerdy with the uncle shirt"
"Why he still wear the cute T-shirt when he is already in 30s"....

Hundreds of thoughts running through our minds every minute and probably 80% of it is ignited by visual perception. If you are truthful to yourself you will be surprise to find out how critical / judgmental our mind is towards other people's external appearance. Well, of course most of the thoughts left unspoken.

We all know inside matters more than outside, no argument there but how many people you know putting an effort or have the luxury of getting to know the inside before they see the outside?

The fact is that we all like beautiful faces and figures. The 'favor for beauty' operates in almost all social situations, its a deep rooted belief and potraited even in the fairy tales, i.e. princess is always beautiful and the witch/stepsister are always ugly. I am guilty as well because i like Daniel Wu and loves to apply black eye liner. And is this something to be ashamed of? maybe not. Most of us are obsess about our external than what we would admit, who doesnt want to look in their best everyday? But one thing i am constantly reminding myself is that God looks beyond the appearance, at the heart. I am sure if the inside is beautiful, the outside will take care of itself.

No comments: