Tuesday, March 02, 2010

on being changed

I was told i've been changed a lot by my ex housemate when i met her back during my CNY holiday stay in Kuching a few weeks back. It really prompt me to think, AM I????

She was with me during the 4 years of my college days and since i left for UK we rarely have chance to talk to each other, so there is a good 5 years of gap between us. The thing which triggered such remarks from her was the claim which i made about wanting to stay single for as long as possible and she was utterly surprised. Well, you need to understand that I used to tell everyone that i want to become a housewife since i am 5 years old.

I also told her that i am in the business line for 3 years now, but i used to sneer and disgust at the sight of businessman. Anyway, these were just some of the other many things which we talked about how different i am now compare to my oldself.

The thing is I was greatly amused by her reaction. Her eyes was widen with surprise when we talked about all these and when she finally accepted the truth, she told me "You have really changed".

It was really a complement to me actually, and you have to understand the fact that i'm not be the most pleasant person on earth to be with. Am not so much of an intuitive or a sporting person, once i like something i will like it forever, and same goes for the opposite. For example, I hate durian and thats the end of it cuz no one can convince me with "just try lah, you may like it". For me, i hate it means i hate it and therefore there is no room for compromising. If i like the person, doesnt matter whether he digs his nose in the public or dressing like a nerd and i will still say that he is doing it with style.

In another word, i am very stubborn, to an extent sometime it sounded as though i'm self centered. I like to state my point of view, and it doesnt matter others agree with me or not, people call it arguing your point through, i call it stand up for myself. Peter and i always like to do engage in such verbal exercise. If you think that i am argumentative, wait til you meet Peter the master. He is far more better in 'constructive debates' compare to me.

Apart from that, i am extremely analytical, i like to dissect things to its smallest details and i will re play the entire scenario again and again in my head until i figure it out 100% or i get mentally tired of it, its really like how Sean Kingston sing it "It's like my iPod stuck on replay, replay-ay -ay -ay...". I am extremely happy when i'm able to notice or making sense of certain details which others cant.

Anyway, back to the conversation i had with my housemate, the main point is she felt that i'm a changed person, and i am not so stubborn in my thoughts like i used to be. To be honest, i am confused more than anything. How did all these changes occurred anyway? Something happened to me in between the college girl me and the working lady me, and the thing is i didnt even realized it at all. I thought i've always know who i am, but it takes the third person's perspective to see the real me.

So, on the fifth day of chinese new year night, in front of my house porch, under the street light, sitting side by side with my friend, I'm completely struck by this re discovery of myself.

Although i have gained at least 5 kg for the past 5 years, however, on that particular night, i love the current me more than ever.

5 comments:

Dorcas said...

almost 10 years we have not meet face to face su ming! From your blog, sometime i can still hear you, dun think you have change much though! dying to catch up one day, month or year, whatever!!!

manglish said...

i tot change is always a good thing? for better or worse hahahahha...

Atlantisian said...

@Dorcas: thats why you need to plan to come back one day for visiting girl!!!

@manglish: yeah you are right indeed, the change itself is a good thing. but the changing process may not be that pleasant though. hehehe.

Anonymous said...

That song is by Iyaz, not Sean Kingston.

Atlantisian said...

For once, the anonymous's comment is making sense, thanks!