Friday, August 07, 2009

Annoyed pt 1

Annoyed, really annoyed.

There are times when i really felt like throwing the resignation letter onto my boss's table and leave without any hesitation. Frankly, the only reason i'm still not leaving... YET is because i have received so much from the company and i will be seen as an ungrateful bastard if i choose to walk out just like that.

Forgive me God, but the truth is i hate to deal with my onshore team members. I was forced to write a warning for poor performance email (as per Performance Appraisal procedure enforced by HR Dept) to my team members due to the fact that he is heavily behind timeline and showed no initiative to improve his performance. And thats when the emails war started.

I dont want to go into details because its already giving me so much of headache. The point is i inherited this project from my ex colleague when he left the company. My only understanding towards project management is because of my experience as an Appraisal team members for a Software Development Quality Standard (CMMI), and not because i've graduated from MIT and managed hundreds of bombastic IT project before. i know nuts about semantics technology and i've to learn from scratch and yet still have to act confidently infront of the other stakeholders.

The fact is alot of hardworks has been poured into planning and managing the project of this size (big in money sense with 10 team members). However, its seems like my onshore team members are totally blind to the amount of effort me and others had poured in. From the first day i've taken up the role as Project Manager, i've told my team members clearly that what i need from them is not "yes mam, we can do it" (Every Indians said that) but professionalism. They will be given full freedom with minimal supervision as long as they are accountable for the tasks which was assigned, which is exactly what professionalism spell for.

And obviously they took the freedom that was given to them for granted.

I am not a racist person (in fact i have no issue with Malaysian Indian) , but i failed miserably trying to grasp and embraced the Indian working culture. All talk and no work is like getting blown by a gush of wind, i can feel it but there is actually nothing there!

God please forgive me for bearing such kind of emotions, i'm only human.

4 comments:

manglish said...

ohhhhhhhhh......very bad......i understand the frusfration....just lip service and no work....sigh!

Dorcas said...

Be patient...may be your forget to shake your head when you talk to them, haha!!

Kim said...

Scientist discovered energy for one shot anger equivalent to one orange nutrients! Do not ever get angry with them. This is the little secret to maintain my "youthfulness"
As you know, I need to manage more than 60 humans from different corners of the world: China,Thai,Vietnam,Russia,Nigeria,Yemen, Saudi Arabia and etc. In addition with multi-racial local students: Chinese, Indian, Malay, Iban, Kadazan...
I received tonnes of complaints from them through my boss ---> backstabbing
BUT, I just wanna make myself happy and always work in peaceful mood ;p

"Dun wori, b hapi, o..o..o.."

Emily said...

Hi susan...
Wonderful sharings in your blog ;)
Work, don take it too hard, dont forget to smell the roses and gaze upon the rainbow in the "storms" of life. I m learning to do the same =) in the past year, work almost swallowed me, haha. take care.