Tuesday, July 07, 2009

My Transboundary driving experience

Yesterday, i had achieved another feat which marked an important milestone in my life-I drove back and forth across the country from KL to Singapore, for a total of 767 km, all in one day!


The night before yesterday i was having this pre-event stress which caused me a terrible sleepless night. I was reading the final episode of '20th century boys' manga (the manga is fabulous! will definitely write about it next time) before i went to the bed. And the instance i hit the pillow and closed my eyes, my mind started to roll like a movie film, replaying all the scene in the manga which i have read.

Like any of the insomniac will do, (not popping sleeping pill, you goons!) I started to psychoing myself with anything i can think off to empty my mind, which including counting the sheeps, alphebets, in ascending and descending, getting up and clear my bladder etc. but it was all useless! By the time the alarm went off showing its 530am, i was so tired yet still perfectly awake, and i have no choice but to go for an icy cold bath to stimulate my neuros.

By 630am, i am waiting for my colleague at my office's empty carpark under the dark open sky, and that started off my transboundary experience.

Frankly, it wasnt really an interesting trip, its nothing close to the so called cross country drive cum soul searching trip, with mustang or RV, accompanied by the blasting of Steppenwolf's "Born to be wild". In contrast, It was a hectic one day business trip to Singapore, cruising the Northsouth Highways with petty scenery of endless palm oil plantation fields at both side, while the one who suffered the most is my poor Myvi.

We stopped for a car-check at Yong Peng town, Johor, as the steering wheel was vibrating like an old man with parkinson whenever it hits 100km/hour. It turned out that the balancing was off and the front tyres had worn off and you can literally see the wires sticking out. The workshop owners told me that the tyre will surely busted if we continue our long distance journey. I have no choice but to pay for RM320 to change the front tyres.

While waiting for the car to be fixed, we went for a bowl of the famous Yong Peng's HockChew FishBall, which was claimed to be one of the bounciest fishballs. While slurping the noodle soup and biting the fishballs, i cant helped but noticing that the town was so old and under developed, there was no sign of economic vibrancy except a few old man sitting in the chinese restaurant watching the tele. My colleague told me that the town used to be blooming with tourist as those days the express busses used to stop at Yong peng for a break, however when the North South Highway was built, the town lost its crowd and was soon forgotten in time .



Well, at least the meatball soup was still quite good.

We reached Singapore, Orchard at around 1230. the shopping streets was full with crowds as it was noon time. We have our usual business lunch with the counterparts and time flies, by the time we finished our discussion, it was the time to hit the road again.

The rest of the 5 hours drive was dreadful, both of us had reached the limit of our sanity and we were cracking stupid jokes and talking non stop all the way back to make sure that we are both physically alert.

By 10pm, i have officially broke my personal records for driving 767 km in a day, and thank God my dear Myvi is still in one piece.

And the rest is just me and my pillow.

2 comments:

Lawrence said...

sweat.. U drive to and fro in one day??? I dare not attempt that amazing feat.. sure i will be too exhausted after that.. lol

manglish said...

waaaaaa......u shud check ur tyres and all before the journey.....so dangerous.....i once saw a tyre on the highway...running by itself!!!