Friday, July 31, 2009

Confession of a getting-fatter girl

I am gaining a lot of weight recently, if you know me from 5 years ago, you will know that i am the least health conscious person in the entire world.

When i was in UK 3 years ago, thanks to the junk food culture there, i've picked up the habit of eating a big bar of chocolate, packs of chips everyday while sitting in front of pc skype-ing with my love ones. To an extent, Peter had to bar me from eating chips while webcaming with him, cuz he just couldnt stand the sickening sight of the food gobbling me.

However, amazingly, despite of all the extra calories that i've consumed, i was as slim as ever (48 kg maybe?). The left picture below stand as the proof for my statement. And if you look at the recent me in the right picture (was trying out a dress in Zara), it is crystal obvious that i've gained lots of weights in the past 3 years after i came back to Malaysia.


So i have concluded 3 main reasons which contributes to the increments of my weight for the past 3 years:

1. Age

Woman's metabolism rate slows down tremendously after age of 25 (thats my hypothesis). In simple term, metabolism rate is the amount of energy (measured in calories) that makes our bosy function. The way i am seeing it is that i used to burn my fat effortlessly by just walking around. Now even if i do aerobic exerciese for an hour, the amount of calories which was burnt maybe equal to a pack of nasi lemak.

2. Malaysia

Basically food and weather.

Nasi lemak again. Sincerely, Malaysian food is sinful, because its oily, fatty and TASTY! Good access to nice food is also a major contributing factor. you can get good food such as burgers, nasi goreng etc. from mamak stall 24 hours just in front of your door step.

And the thing about the weather is that: Hot weather makes me sweat, and being sweaty makes me go to shopping mall, going to shopping mall means going to fastfood restaurant to eat.



3. My job

Basically being in business team entitles me to have breakfast, tea, lunch and dinner meeting with clients. Its Malaysian undefiable culture that we do business (not the one in the toilet) and eat at the same time.

4. Peter

Peter loves Itallian food and he pick up cooking as his interest after the first Jamie Oliver show he watched. I think he cooks far better than me as he got this fussy taste bud which can tells the difference between different type of herbs such as rosemary, basil, pasley, sage, thyme etc.

Anyway, this is my dinner cooked by him a few days ago, his version of scale down Spanish Tapas meal. Tapas is a wide variety of appetizers in Spanish cuisine. Being appetizers, its supposed to be small in portion but in great varieties and diversities. It was so good that we finished the very last bit of everything.


Actual Spanish Tapas vs Peter's Tapas



Button mushroom with olive oil, garlic, dry chilli, cheese. Hotdogs with self made bolognese sauce and basil leaves


Luncheon meat omelet, toasted bread with olive oil and honey

Even the doggie was salivating and waiting in anticipation for us to feed her the food. Cute Miko!

7 comments:

JeSS said...

wow...Su ming. you look more chubby. ok, back to your theory
1. dont think woman metabolic rate will decrease after 25 as mine is increased. i ate alot and even took supper everynight but still cant gain weight.
2. agreed. hot weather rushing us to fast food and thus gain more calories.
3. agreed. as we do the same when travelling or supiers and client visiting. foods are always being the first choice of entertainment.damn!
4. no idea. we prefer japanese foods than oily food. healthier!

well, gaining weight is better than losing weight. i lost ~10kg for my past 4 working years. and now, the bbody weight never shoot back to the normal.

manglish said...

seriously susan, i couldnt agree with you more.....i lost 10 kgs coming to jpn......i dont know if malaysian food is a cuisine or a curse :p

manglish said...

ohhhhh btw dont worry about putting on weight, i know men likes meaty women hehehee.....not tat u r meaty..i mean just nice.....and....hahahha....anyway take it as a compliment..:)

Dorcas said...

Hahhhaa, you're so funny. Did you end up buying that dress??
Chel are on a diffrent system, as i totally agree with you about the metabolism part!! I have to go to gym everday to burn burn and burn,what happen to our gym routine?? But i think we should go to gym with the correct aim, that is to be healthy. I learnt it the hard way though, I got very obsessive with running last year i run about 7k everday! i'm also very much into organic and detox stuff, i detox once every season. Finally my body cannot cope with the stric regime that i put myself through, weight just 43kg at the time, and miss my "aunty" for half a year!!!! Went to do all the test and my eastrogen was way too low, much lower than women in their monopause, can you imagine! So have to slowy ease back and eat and cut back on gym. Hence we went to lot's of restaurant from that time! Now is back to normal, 45-46. so Su Ming, so long as you;re healthy, stay healty!!

Anonymous said...

su, u just turned 25 like a month ago...so ur theory for no.1 is not valid.

and i dun think it's mainly the food in kl la..look at me, not eating in kl, still not losing much..:p

i think it all comes down to working life. not walking much, eating more, no time for exercise etc.

Atlantisian said...

hahaha... i guess the weight increment thingy is multi-factorial. And Peter had forced me to clarify that he is certainly not a contributing factor, in fact he is the one who keep me at balance, by imposing funny rules onto me such as no PORK FAT, no coke, no ice cream etc.

manglish said...

no ice cream???????? CRUEL!!!!! ahahaha........:)