Thursday, July 16, 2009

A God Believer

I was brought up in a hardcore christian family, that doesnt mean that i was oppressed and forced to accept the religion or anything. In fact, I had willingly accepted God into my life after i've personally experienced His presence and greatness.

However about a year ago, i've started to seriously thinking whether to continue to call myself LITERALLY a Christian or not. Don't get me wrong, i'm neither abandoning my religion nor thinking of converting. Its just that i've seen some lights for the past 1 year and it sorta led to a shift in my view and thoughts on religion. Anyway, what i really trying to say is that i wanted to identify myself more as a God believer rather than strictly a 'Christian' who wholly and only follow what the church/congregation/denomination's doctrines or creed says.

Recently i have seen so many examples of how things went wrong if we claim ourselves to be religionists who only serve single church or denomination's interest. Think about Protestants and Catholics conflicts, or conventional and charismatics debates, you'd be surprised at the vibrancy and occasional nastiness over musty theological tomes. Although Islam, Judaism and Christianity serve the same Yahweh God, however they are still blind and incompromise towards each other. Recently, there was a religious conflicts in local scene when Catholics lodge report against Al Islam for trespassing. Frankly, i'm sad and to an extent angry towards all these meaningless fightings and arguments as we all serve the same Kingdom of God.



I grew up in a conventional Methodist church, but attended a very much charismatic church when i first came to KL, it was funny that i went reverse and subsequently attended a conventional independent church in Liverpool when i study abroad. On top of that, occasionally i still go to Peter's Catholic church, and i have a mix of close friends who are Catholics, mainstream protestants and charismatic christians.

Prior to this, i have a very narrow definition of what Christian is, and its very much what the church taught me so. Instead of being a God believer, I was shaped into a church believer. And because of this, Peter and I have some heated discussion due to the differences of our understanding towards certain God teaching and principles. However most of the time, it was me who insisted that my way of being a christian is the right way and unwilling to think outside of the frame.

After that, things happened, which drastically and dramatically changed my believes. However its not the right time to share it here yet.

The point is, doesnt matter you are a protestants christians, charismatic christians, catholics, Jew, or even Islamic, you are a God Believer. I'm not saying our God is a also the God of greeks, Indian mythology or Chinese lagendary stories, but i am suggesting that our God is a universal God.

Maybe you are wondering have i been striked by lightning or what, to come out with such a blasphemous thought. Well the answer is no, but the impact or the aftermath maybe the same. Honestly, i was confused and i have struggled badly when my so called 'church cardinal belief' were challenged, but at the same time i began to open up and i know more now than i ever knew in my life. And still, i'm craving to know so much more.

Parallelly, being a science thinker had also open up my horizon like never before. A lot of scientific discovery fascinates me, and it bring out another perspective for me to understand God's work. In fact, I still think that our God is the greatest scientist of all, He had created the life itself, and human was merely trying to solve all the riddles in the name of science. Probably its really like what my friend Dorcas said, when we meet the creator one day, it will be the biggest science convention of all time, as all the truth of life will be revealed once and for all.

I can imagine myself sitting on the audience seat, raising my hand asking God on the stage, excitedly, "God, why does our genetic makeup is so much similar to the apes?" * chuckles *

Anyway, i better shut my mouth now. I may not be strike by lightning, but i maybe stoned to death if i continue. Sign off!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

interesting post...i do agree that what really matters is that we are God's children and we believe in Him.

anyway, i dun think we will get the chance to ask God tat question...He will be too busy sorting us out :p

Xav_Kim said...

I agreed with both of u. Spiritual war is fighting enormously. Pray that we would not stray away from the sight of GOD.
No matter which church are we attending,
"we are God's children and we believe in Him."