Tuesday, July 26, 2011

Relay for Life 2011

I participated in Relay for Life 2011 last Saturday night. It was a happening weekend, my dear kp friends were enjoying themselves in the Bon Odori Festival in Shah Alam, but most of the crowd went to watch the Liverpool-Malaysia Tiger team football match at Stadium Bukit Jalil i guess.

I was loud in my previous post about not being a patriotic person, and i'm going to be equally loud in this post- i'm NOT a charitable person neither. Attending 1 charity event in a year does not qualified myself being a charity activist. I have to admit that when my company announced that they are sponsoring their employees to attend the event as part of fulfilling social responsibility, i was skeptical about it. Well, there are many similar events such as pink ribbons, terry fox runs etc. conducted throughout the year to raise the awareness towards cancer, and having 16 hours continuous relay sounds pretty much the same.

Boy, how wrong was I. I enjoyed the ambience, the message, the fun and the companionship of my colleagues throughout the whole night, and i even felt guilty for not able to stay till the end of the 16 hours. The event started off with run /jog from the cancer survivors, even for those who are on wheel chair. It was then followed by all the sponsors from private sectors, everyone carrying big banners representing there companies (starbucks, KPJ, Columbia Asia etc.), except us. We came totally unprepared, but everyone in such good spirit that it really doesnt matter even if the initial purpose of coming is all about marketing and brand awareness.


My colleagues and I in yellow T shirt (NOT Bersih k)

Then we have lots of lots activities like games, singing and dancing throughout the night, however one of the most memorable events was the Luminaria ceremony. The Luminaria Ceremony is targeted toward “Remember.” During this time, participants are asked to gather and remember those who have fallen victim to cancer. Luminaria bags are distributed and often decorated by participants, honoring a loved one who has passed or is fighting the disease. Then these bags are placed around the track and candles inside the bags are lit before all the lights went off. Following the Luminaria Ceremony, participants walk a lap around the track in silence to give respect to those who have fallen ill with cancer or to those whose lives were lost.


Campsite for those who want to stay overnight

And i walked around the track, looking at the luminated bags decorated with the pictures of the lost, words of remembrance such as "We missed you","You will be always in our mind", "never give up" really brought tears to my eyes.







I had never lost my love ones due to cancer illness before. However that night, when i'm walking in the dark beside many strangers who may have fought, or still fighting, or had lost their loves ones due to the deadly illness, i felt a great sense of togetherness. Doesnt matter where we all came from, what we have went through, today we are all here, to remember those who had lost the battle, to celebrate those who had won and to fight for the same course.



Anyway, my company luminted bag were so dull and boring, it made me nearly puke blood when i saw it.

Anyone joining me next year? :)

6 comments:

Lee said...

haha, you should design your company bag than!! so the yellow shirt thing is over? can wear yellow now?!

Dorcas said...

that Lee, is me, Dorcas.

chloe-kohyee said...

ME!

atlantisian said...

Dorcas: hahaha. yeah can. for good course what.

Ky: count you in arr!

Xav_Kim said...

so nice, I seldom got chance to join such events recently. However, I'm FREE now... pls do let me know if got any special function.

Arun Gupta said...

no doubt man really Taiwan the great place so when you with your partner it obvious u would have a fun ... enjoy your tour :)
Bangalore Restaurants.