Monday, July 11, 2011

The observer's account of the B Demonstration

I have to admit that I'm not a patriotic person.

When i first heard there will be the B-demonstration going on this Saturday. My first response is "Shit, road blocks will be everywhere". And indeed, there were road blocks causing endless traffic jam since early last week, during peak rush hours, causing half of the people in my office came late for work. It really makes me questioned the intelligence of our law enforcers of making such a decision, unless they are trying to make a point that they can make our lives difficult any time they want because they have the badge.

So come back to the B-demonstration. Well, i didnt took the walk with the rest of the ten thousands of demonstrators the last Saturday. And I wont sugar coat by saying my mom didn't allow me to go (which she really did by calling me at 7 o' clock on Saturday morning), or it will never make a change, its useless, blah blah blah....


The truth is this was never my call. I dreamt of doing alot of things but to be at the forefront to make a difference to the country was never my call. I do believe one day if our country go further downhill, everyone including myself will have to bear the consequences of it. However, i also feel that all of us have our part to play, whether to march on the street, or to vote for the right party, or to continue to serve our country in our own professionalism... In fact, my colleague went to help with St John's first aid and was stationed at the Dataran Merdeka last Saturday, kudos to him!

I guess there is time and place for everyone. And when my time comes, even my mom's call will not be able to hold me back. But for this time, i am the observer. I have read some blogs and international news on this, and i would like to share just a few with you.


I was quite surprised with the spirit of the demonstration, especially their great effort of trying to make it a peaceful rally. After reading the participant's account, I was curious to know what was our government response after the incident, hence i followed through diligently Saturday and Sunday's news from TV3 and NTV7. And this is what i saw.


I think you can judge yourself. I was greatly bewildered and baffled.

Let me repeat, i am not a patriotic person. Sometimes when I have a yum-char session at mamak stall with my friends, whether its intended or subconsciously, the topic will somehow come back to how sucky the situation in our country now. And yes, apart from Nasi Lemak, we Malaysian don't boost around telling how good our country is all the time. We curse, we criticise, sometimes we even hate the corrupted system we had in our country to the gut. But nevertheless, we still felt that there is no place like home. Malaysia is my home.

ps: There is no Nasi Lemak better than Malaysian's.

1 comment:

Dorcas said...

i bet to differ your last sentence! I ate better one here! Haha! But it's the childhood thing that i miss hence Leila Nasi lemak still make me drool.

I believe there are still many way we can demonstrate the need of change. for example, we dun take bribes, nor do we give bribes. Including traffic bribes. If everyone that went to the protest can help themselves from taking or give bribes, surely changes will take place. We should start with something small like these first. Traffic Bribes. i hate that. I pay the fines anytime.