Thursday, December 06, 2012

The BIG 30



* Take a deep breath * It's less than a year before the BIG 3 comes. Can you imagine that? Its so true that time wait for no ones.

Lately every time when the girls and I hang out, somehow this topic of being 30 will inevitably surfaced in our conversation. We'll said things like we must do some crazy shit thing before turning 30, maybe going to some exotic island for a holiday without our husband (actually its just me) and boyfriends; wearing sexy bikini and had the most memorable celebration of our youth before we wave it goodbye etc.

But putting those crazy ideas aside, seriously, when the day comes, I want to celebrate the great 30 years  I've lived instead of mourning for its end. Although there are ups and downs, but I've achieved many great feats which I think I can be proud of. And the funny thing is if i put myself in the shoes of my younger self, I would have never anticipated that life at 30 will be so much different from what I've planned since I was young.

When I was young, I have this funny thought that I am in the process of preparing myself to live THE real life, which is something yet to happen, who I'll be, where I'll go, what I'll do... In my head I have pictures and plans cataloged and stored for the day when my real life begins, because when it finally comes, I'm damn sure it will be BIG like Katy Perry's firework - show them what my worth, let them go ah- ah -ah, as I shoot across the sky.  Harboring this belief, I was eager for the moment of ignite-the-light-and-let-it-shine to come.


You would have guessed by now that the moment never comes. Before I've even realized it, a series of events took place- I fell in love, went to study abroad, graduated, landed myself with a job back home, bought a car and an apartment with Peter, got married and then the BIG 30 is smacking right in front of me. Wow! where the hell did my grandeur plan of REAL life goes?

And then, I came to realize that: There will never be a life changing, earth shattering MY-LIFE-HAS-FINALLY-BEGUN moment, because life is right now. However, by sheer luck or divine intervention, some of the pictures which I have painted for my REAL life were miraculously realized somehow throughout these years without much cautious effort. For example, bag packing to a country which I've never been before, alone, is one of the priorities in my catalog. But I've did that 6 years ago when I visited Paris! And it was an ad hoc spur of the moment decision without much planning at all!

When I was 23.....

So I've asked myself now, I'm living my real life now, and soon I will be 30, have all the pictures in my mental catalog became a reality? So I tried to list some, well, not just some... 30 actually. So that this will be my resolution for the next few months. Thirty things to do before I'm thirty, maybe big maybe little, but it must be new. Maybe not a big deal to most, but it will make the 30 years of my life chapter complete.

Here is comes the BIG 30:
  1. Go for a dessert buffet
  2. Re connect with 1 lost friend
  3. Highlight my hair 
  4. Do a message in a bottle and throw into the sea
  5. Plant a tree or grow a garden
  6. Get a piece of art for the living room 
  7. Write a will
  8. Have a bon fire at the beach
  9. Do a dance performance 
  10. Tell a stranger about the my life story
  11. Attend evening mass in the church which Peter and I got married
  12. Run a marathon 
  13. Travel to another country with girl friends
  14. Buy something for myself which cost more than RM1K  
  15. Volunteer in a soup kitchen
  16. Make myself a cup of cappuccino with latte art 
  17. Watch a sunrise on a hill
  18. Go to a dress up party
  19. Eating a burger with at least 3 layers of meat patties
  20. Go to a concert of my favourite band
  21. Take a photo with someone famous
  22. Attend a non work related workshop 
  23. Had a candle light dinner with my love one
  24. Make a souffle 
  25. Participate in a singalong session or flash mob in public 
  26. Try the best Char siew ramen in town 
  27. Have a proper dance with Peter
  28. Watch a theater / famous musical (Peter Pan doesn't count)
  29. Go for a movie marathon
  30. Invent something new
Anyone wanna join me in my BIG 30?


3 comments:

Dorcas said...

i don't think i have done any of the above and i am already 30!! Don't feel any difference though!! haha!
want to meet up? I will be in town next month.

atlantisian said...

sure. cant wait to meet your little one.

Audrey said...

Awesome list! I'd love to join you if you're game...hehe! :D