Monday, December 17, 2012

And she said yes


Last weekend was all about wedding, and I thought that I'm too old to be a "Ji Mui". Boy I was right. Experiencing the whole process again after a year (since my very own wedding) was as tiring as I can remember.    

The bride was one of my girl friends whom I've known the longest (mind you I don't have that many), 11 years to be exact. We were neighbors since our college days, and I used to "tumpang" (as my fellow Malaysian would say) at her small little room during my KL-UK trip those days. And boy oh boy, time really flies. It seems like just yesterday when her current husband then not-yet-boyfriend was still courting her. It stirred up alot of emotions in me seeing her said yes and finally became his wife after 7 years of courtship.

Back to my point, I am really too old for this thing called wedding. I stayed overnight at her place the night before wedding, and supposed to wake up at 630am the next morning. I couldnt sleep the whole night for some reason, woke up with puffy eyes and started the whole drill of getting ready -  make up artist / photographer / videographer came - prepare the tea for tea ceremony - lots and lots of photography session - leave the place to go to groom's place - another tea ceremony - more photography session etc. By the time the whole procession end, it was 1.30 pm, and I have to quickly rush back home, had a small nap and then went for the wedding dinner reception. By the time I reached home last night (or early morning) at 12 something, I was totally flat, but thank God I'm excused from the "playing games with the grooms and  groomsman session, if not the damage would have been even greater.

So the conclusion is, wedding is tiring! Don't get me wrong, I am really happy for my friend and felt honored to be able to be of some help to her, but seriously, after went through the whole bride thingy myself and being a 2 times bridesmaid and a 2 times Ji mui/ wedding coordinator, I think I would like to "retire" from this whole wedding "business" if I can. While I had stayed simple with mine, it always baffled me every time I heard about the sophisticated plan for weddings and the amount of moolah couples willing to spend for a single day. With that being said, its not my wedding, and its a matter of personal choices. So as long as they are happy, i'm also happy for them. BUT then, I am so glad that Peter is on the same page with me when it comes to these things. ;)

Anyway, my heart goes to the newly wed couple and I hope they will enjoy the companionship of each other in a deeper way in the days ahead.


1 comment:

Kenny Mah said...

Happy New Year, dear Susan --- may better things come for you this 2013! :D