Friday, March 30, 2007

One little glimpse of Paris


The
outsider on the inside, that’s my feeling when I first set my feet on the RER train which took me from Paris Charles de Gauls airport to Gare du Node train station. On this side of the earth, people speak in different tongue; wear trendy clothes and perfect makeup even in the oldest and modest train which I ever ride before. I looked at myself, a thick un stylish children size (yes, I always buy children size clothes in England) coat with a pair of faded jeans
with a lot of holes on it. I looked more hippies than I ever thought before when I standing beside those high heels, perfume smell, metropolitan Paris ladies. I guess there is nothing more humbling than living in a foreign culture because you will become the alien on the inside.

To be truth, traveling is no difference than a case study of human beings, how they habitating a common place initially but slowly adapting to develop a culture of their own. Traveling really makes me aware the fact that the world is small but how diverse it is as well. I guess the secret of the idiots guide to traveling is to always keep an open mind and learn from each encounter with every person.

Knowing how to read a map is the most important survival skill of a traveler. It was nearly 11pm when I reached Gare du Node station, it took me a while to know which direction that I should took to go to the hotel which I booked online before hand. The roads looked all the same and it’s definitely not as simple as what is drawn on the map. After 10 minutes walk, I have finally reached the Le Regent Monmartre two star hotel. At the price of 39 euro pernight, it was quite a small and decent room to be truth. Not so spacious, but it has a wonderful view from the small balcony. I can even see the famous Sacre Coer glowing in the dark.


Not wasting any precious time, I quickly unpack my stuff and heading to Moulin Rouge which was only 10-15 mins walk away from the hotel. Moulin Rouge is the most famous Cabaret in the world since 1889, thanks to its French Can can Dance. I am deadly excited about the place partly because I had watched the movie about the tragic and glamorous life of the can can dancer starring by none other than Nicole kidman and Ewan MacGregor for 5 times. I’m aware that the concept is still the same at Moulin rouge compared to 100 years ago as I looked at the massively big size posters pasted outside the theatre. The feathers, rhinestones and sequines, fabulous settings, original music and of course beautiful girls; but disappointingly, the price was exceptionally expensive as well. The French Cancan show plus a dinner cost around 140 pounds.

I took some pictures and walked leisurely around the area, that whole street was full of adult shops and amusement theatres, I think this is the red light area for Paris. Honestly, it was quite a cultural shock to me, feels like I’m in the Old Testament’s city of Sodomah or Ghemorah. I guess for them sex is just part of the culture.

That night, while I’m lying on the bed, thinking that I am actually in THE Paris. The whole realization just made my whole chest throbbing with excitement, even my eyelids refused to close up, hoping that the night will not end too soon. Around 2 am, my body had finally surrendered, i sighed with satisfaction before wandered into the dream land knowing that there will be another good day waiting for me tomorrow.

1 comment:

Dorcas said...

hahhaa, good experiance. btw, i did catch a subway in paris!! it's not that bad, and very fast. you should really try the train in Sydney, slow like a snail and old like a old lady!! Suffering man!!