Wednesday, November 21, 2012

Apps Goodies 1: Picture perfect with PicMonkey

I'm starting another series of posts apart from my "Baking Addiction" series, its called the "Apps Goodies" series. In the course of my years of blogging, I've come across many useful website/ apps which do wonders. These apps basically do stuff which is beyond our intellectual capabilities and it simply enhances our entire online experience. I will share some apps which are interesting, it may not necessary popular/ widely used but it must be FREE, so that it can be beneficial to many.  

The first Apps Goodie i'm gonna share here is a photo editing app. I was looking through some of the last pictures of Miko, as I wanted to choose some to sent for printing and framing. However most of the pictures turn out to be quite dull and boring, mainly due to the lighting and of course amateurish photography skill. ;)

Usually I will use an application called Photoscape for photo editing. It is a very light, user friendly application and most importantly its free! However, it lacks some of the futuristic filter algorithm (like Instagram) which can enhance the photos with a single clicks of  button. In another word, I'm too lazy to go through step by step editing to improve the color, brightness, add special effects etc. With that being said, usually I don't edit photos that much, at most I'll just adjust the brightness. And I'm kinda against those sepia or retro binge who instagram every photos before they publish to the facebook. I mean its fine to edit a few photos just to show a different kind of feeling or perspective, but EVERY photos, come on... 

Anyway, being the usual me, I detest using the main stream photo editing application i.e. Instagram. In fact Chrome webstore has a very good app which literally does everything for you. Its called PicMonkey. The thing I like about the application is that you don't have to register or install the application in order to use. On the main page of the website, just choose to edit a photo or create a collage, and you can start to use right away! It allows you to save all the edited photos and export to social network website and even Pinterest.

I love the pastel color and seasonal design of the website, its looks very different from the usual black sleeky techno themed website of the similar kind.


The most useful features of this apps is the basic edit and effect tab. Like I mentioned before its really a dummies for photoshop app, whereby with a single click, you can enhance your photos to create different kind of effect with various filters such as Dusk, Urbane, Cross process etc. 

For example, this is a original photo of miko and me. It was taken without much lighting and it lacks character. 

And these are the photos after applying different filters (the filter used are stated in the photos), see how different the before and after is. Personally I like the Time Machine filter the best, the colors goes very well the flourish curtain at the background 

This is another favorite of mine, which is added with old photograph frame and caption

I think I'll use this photo, love the Cinematic effect! 

Not a big fan of I-am-an-elite-facebooker-because-I-instagram? fret not, you can always try out PicMonkey!


No comments: