Sunday, May 23, 2010

Sunday Night

I think my antisocial-ness is pretty much at its height nowadays. Other than occasionally went out with my colleagues and churchmates, most of the time i prefered to just hybernating in my comfort little room and enjoy the moments of solitude of my own.

At the age of 26, and soon to be 27, i have to say that my enthusiasm for outdoors activities and party hangouts had pretty much go downhill together with the rate of my metabolism. I cant remember when is the last time i've actually went for clubbing or party. Good food and great movies, yes, but shaking your body like adrenaline pumping teenage girl all night long, sorry am way too old for that.

Its not that i am really THAT old, but whenever i watched how silly and careless Carrie Bradshaw acted in the "Sex and the City", i cant helped but felt, does every woman really have to walk through the confused, wrecked and jaded road, being screwed left and right, fall in and out of good and bad relationship.... in order to gain THAT final ultimate happiness? And most of the time this ultimate happiness is nothing but a self realization of understanding thyself in a way thy never did before, and realizing the fact that thy shall not need another person to make thy happy.

I cant say that i understand myself 100%, but i am comfortable the way i am. And frankly, i think i am walking towards the direction of "understand thyself", swiftly and firmly. The only thing is my Modus Operandi may not involves so much of Carrie Bradshaw's way if you know what i'm saying. My road was kinda predictable, occasionally there are some diversions and pits stop but overall its pretty much boring i would say.

And most of the time, it involves alot of reading.

When i browsed through my collection of books for the past 3 years, i felt a sudden rush of satisfaction, for a moment, i really felt like one of those old man who keep a precious collection of old coins whereby occasionally they will take out those coins to polish and wipe until its shiny. And if you dare to ask him, he will tell you a story behind each and every pieces of those coins, and how does the coins relates to his own life.

In a way i felt the same about my collection of books.

When it comes to romance, i love Dorothy Koomson. All the girls in her stories are imperfect, but beautiful in their own way. Amber in "the chocolate run" is a choco-holic and a commitment phobe; Nova in "Goodnight Beautiful" willing to have a baby for the man who she can never have; Kam in "my best friend's girl" would do everything for her best friend including adopting the daughter of her betrayed fiance.




When it comes to philosophical, i love Jostein Gaader and Paulo Coelho. Jostein Gaarder is a Norwegian intellectual who often writes from the perspective of children, exploring their sense of wonder about the world. He often uses metafiction in his works, writing stories within stories. Peter loves "Sophies's world" (which i can never finish the book as its too philosophical), and i love "Through a Glass, darkly", cuz it taught me what death is all about and how an angel will come and prepare us to face the unspeakable fear when its knocking on the door.



I'll give Coelho a skip here, cuz i think i've said too much about his book which makes me sounds like some kind of cult addict.



And there are some others of my random collection such as those wacky disc world madness from Terry Pratchett; novels of simple english coupled with strong emotions from a China writer-Xiao Lu Guo; the great political-historical series of George Owell and etc.

All these books taught me something about myself, and at some point of reading, i can totally relate to what the author is trying to tell. This may sound funny, but sometimes its like a spiritual process of re discovering myself as i find that the words explain pieces of me in a perfectly crystal clear manner.

Hence, i guess its no surprise that on a Sunday night like this, while some are enjoying great drinks and happening parties outside. I am sitting on my bed, with a great book and a cup of hot chocolate milk, am 100% contended woman inside.

1 comment:

manglish said...

waaaaaaaaaaaa u read a lot too eh....good good...i am going to tackle sophie's world next...but first i need to go find it in the bookstore here haahahaha...happy reading...btw sex and the city 2 coming hahahahha