Friday, March 30, 2007

When Susan met Susan


I met another me last summer. Her name is the same as mine, Susan. And she told me that it means the lily of the valley. We are not exactly the replica of each other, well, she is much older than me, 20-30 years older perhaps. But our characters are similar in a way that it was pretty obvious to friends around us.

To start of with, we both played guitar; we both have strong character; we both like to plan things ahead and reflect afterwards; we both think that sometimes face to face confrontation is not the best way to solve a conflict; we both like the song “in Christ alone”; and the list goes on. She always tells me that she saw the younger she in me, a bit paranoid, a bit workaholic and a bit perfectionism. What she doesn’t know is that how I wish some times I can be more relaxed and more at ease like her. “It came with experience.” That’s what she said. Indeed, I found that her greatest treasure (apart from Jesus), perhaps is her exciting, ups and down life experience and life lessons.

I didn’t know her that long to be truth, its even less than 2 years. It all started when she realized that I need something to boost my commitment in the church. Back then, I was always in a rush. Rush in and out of the church, leaving no trace, and that’s the way I prefer it to be. No commitment, no deep relationship nor feelings. “I will leave UK in 1 and a half year time, its better to leave everything on surface”. Well at least that’s what I have thought, but not her. That’s why she asked me to play guitar along with her, so that I can blend in the church community more, so that I will have a sense of responsibility for this church as well. I guess her plan did works. I grew more and more attached to this church, and at the same time I learned some life lessons that I would never have learned if I continue to stay distantly in my own world, my comfort zone.

The day before I left UK, we have twice heart to heart talk in some nice cozy bistro. Time spells no difference to us because for me, that few hours felt like minutes. And until today, some of the words she said still linger in mind. I am not sure will I have any chance to see her again in future, but I am always thankful that our life intersects at certain point and moreover, i get to know another me who stays at the other side of the earth.

God bless you, Susan Kam.

No comments: