Saturday, April 07, 2012

How many more years will you live?


Yes, mine is 51 years. 

Hmm.... which makes me 80 years old by then. Well, at least my medical insurance plan covers me til 80 years old. Phew....

The logical question you would ask me is how accurate is this system. This Life Expectancy System is developed by Malaysian Statistics Department with the aim to give a description on the estimated average remaining life of the individual. The algorithm was generated based on Malaysian mortality rates using the Coale-Demeny (West) and the Brass Logit model. Please don't ask me what does it really mean. Since the name of the model sounded pretty impressive I assume that its a very sophisticated statistical analysis model.   

Anyway, go ahead and try out yourself. I wouldn't say its a dodgy system. 

To think about it, 51 years sound way too LONGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGG....

Remember the Justin Timberlake's movie- In time? I wonder what would I do if I know exactly how long more I will live, like the characters in the movie.  


The bigger question is how long will I stay productive?

I'm 29 this year, and I've already started to feel the effect of aging on my body. Goodbye to those days when I can stay up till 2am in the morning and still felt energetic like a bull the next day. Goodbye to those days when I can burn up all the fat by doing absolutely nothing. My metabolic rate had slow down quite a bit, I get tired more easily, my skin felt more flabby and less elastic, and wrinkles... Lets not dwell any further in this. 

To think about it, I actually wish that I don't have to live that long. It will be better if I can leave this world before my body start to break down. The quality of life goes down the minute our lives get consumed by old age diseases. Hearing loss, muscle near to the point of disintegration, wobbly feet (maybe knee with arthritis), smell of rotten meat, and NO teeth. 

I think i'm feeling depressed already. 

I don't think I'm thinking pessimally nor I live cowardly. My definition of a quality life is fruitful, bountiful and ecstatic. Without optimal health, I will be deprived from living passionately and purposefully. And these are the very things that make us feel alive and worthy. I don't want to be just "coping" with life. It will be the saddest thing if I end up that way one day. 

I dont know about you but to me, I want to stay as productive for as long as possible, the day I no longer useful, I hope that God will be merciful to me and take me away. 

1 comment:

chloe-kohyee said...

Looks like this system has classified the `chinese' people have the longest life span (about 80 yrs as you said)... followed by the darkest skin colour race and followed by the bumiputeras...hmmm i wonder why the well-fed by government race actually have the shortest life span 0_0

chinese will outlive everyone on earth! even the 'others' cant fight us :p