Monday, March 14, 2011

Indifferent

I was running on the treadmill in the gymn yesterday, when i watched the videos of Japan's Tsunami from the CNN channel for the first time since the sad incident happened on last Friday.
I was frightening beyond relief, one of the survivor said. I have no words. When he saw his wife swept away by the tide.
And i continue to run, and run, but my heart become so heavy that at one point, i need to decrease the running speed in order to pant, not because of the physical tiredness, but because of the sadness i felt so deep til it choked my lungs.

It really doesn't matter what language they speaks, the tears was the universal language, and i understand it. It really doesnt matter how many thousand of kilometers away they are from me, the sadness is mutual, and i really felt it.

And i felt even more sad because i am here, running on a treadmill, paying gymn membership so that i can keep my weight; while people on the other side of the earth, running for the lives, can't even purchase a single piece of bread even though they have the money. I can hear the sound of tears and the newscasters from my earphones, at the same time, i heard the sound of laughters and chattering from the surrounding of the gymn.

Its an ironic.

Some had just lost their lives.
There are some others live their lives as though they are in full control.

In a way, i am helpless. I don't want to register myself as one of the crowds who continue to live their lives irrespective of what is happening on the other side of the earth. I don't want to be acting indifferent as though the thousands lives that were lost during that day has nothing to do with me.

Yet, what can i do?

It reminds me the message i heard last week in church.

Luke 7:31-32: “To what, then, can I compare the people of this generation? What are they like? They are like children sitting in the marketplace and calling out to each other:
We played the flute for you, and you did not dance;
we sang a dirge, and you did not cry.’

How true is the word of God, how did the people of this generation act? Indifferent. They don't want to participate in the joyful celebration, nor they want to mourn and cry for others lost. Are we indifferent to other's pain? Do we share the joy of others? and the most important question is do we even care about others or we just shut our eyes and focus on our self interest?

Is our heart so shallow and only concern about our own well being that we choose to be ignorant and blinded towards things which happens to others, things which happen around us.

And the question come back to me. What can i do?

I don't have any answer. And i continue to run.

2 comments:

Xavier said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Xav_Kim said...

Dear Su, just do whatever u need to do, God will guides us as long as we follow his will. Through suffer, we can see the glory of God.
Pls dun ban me, I promise I will be a well-have boy. Pls let me know if u need any assistance, FOC n NO critics.