Friday, February 19, 2010

Happy chinese new year

Greetings from the land of cats! err.. or is it hornbill? ;)

Anyway, i went back to Kuching, my hometown last Saturday for the Chinese New Year Holiday. It has been nearly one year since the last time i went back home, so you can imagine how excited i am.

For me, its not as simply as going back to the place i grew up, but more of reuniting with my family members in this festive season to celebrate the Chinese tradition. To be frank, i am the least 'chinese' among my family members. i'm no good when it comes to chinese cooking, i dont understand much of chinese literature and history, i dont gamble or play mah jong and i dont really wear new clothes during CNY ;). Moreover, my family have left behind most of the conventional chinese culture and superstitious such as no floor sweeping during 1st day of CNY, ancestor worshiping etc.

However, i had always cherish the chinese value of CNY, especially the teaching with regards to the family value: '孝敬' (obedience to Parent) and '团圆' (reunion). Coming back home for CNY eve dinner and giving ang pow are the must have during CNY. I was raised in a modest family and my parents never really spoiled their children with too much of unnecessary luxurious celebration during CNY. For us, reunion dinner is a must but not too much. There is no overflowing food on the dinning table, we dont gorge or drink gluttonously. However, we enjoy eating, chatting, and most importantly each other's companionship during the dinner.

Another highlights of CNY is fireworks, but frankly the only fire crakers i've ever played before was pop pop. I think it needs no introduction as most of Malaysian children grew up with the sound. In fact, the 'pop pop' sound was one of my fondest childhood memories.



Although my family dont really play fireworks anymore, we do enjoy watching fireworks together. Fireworks in Kuching during CNY is one hell of a sight to see, it was a non stop 30 mins indulgence of massive lightning and glaring colors.

Thats all from now, happy Chinese new year!! i'll be back to blogsphere soon.

* munching bak gua *

3 comments:

manglish said...

so jeles, send me some bak kwa hahahahahah happy cny

Dorcas said...

yeah, is that last sentence directed to me su ming?!!!!!!

Xav_Kim said...

Miss Meat-eater, bak gua with cold beer, excel combination, pls try,k