Friday, December 20, 2013

The Hobbits- The desolation of Smaug

Last Wednesday I went to cinema to watch The Hobbits- The Desolation of Smaug. 


Overall, it was a good movie. The story picked up from the last episode, whereby the dwarves, along with Bilbo Bagggins and Gandalf the wizrd, continue their quest to reclaim Erebor, their homeland from Smaug the dragon. The story is easy to follow and my favorite part of the movie is the interaction between Bilbo and Smaug. There is so much chemistry between the dragon and the hobbit and I love love Bilbo's unique hobbit-humor. In addition, their role were played by none other than Holmes and Watson pair from The Sherlock- Martin Freeman and Benedict Cumberbatch. My favorite actors and drama of all time.

I missed Sherlock, please air the season 3 soon!!!

Anyway, check out http://www.comicbookmovie.com/fansites/notyetamovie/news/?a=88896 for the interview of Bendict Cumberbatch on his voice over as the smaug.

Am not to sure whether its an aftermath or what, but watching the movie reminds me bits and pieces of scenes in The Lord of the Ring trilogy I watched like something 10 years ago. Mind you I have a very bad memory when it comes to remembering the storyline and characters of the previous movies which I have watched. Sometimes when I watched the sequel of a movie, I will start to question Peter like, "how come this or that character from the previous movie no longer appearing? oh he was dead? how did he die?".... 

Usually Peter gets really pissed off with me when I did that. 

Anyway, coming back to Lord of the Rings. Some of the things Frodo Baggins said keep on lingering in my mind for days. It was a scene at the end of story in The Return of the King when the journey and fellowship ended and everyone went back to their home. Everyone were celebrating their victory and reunion with their family members, the Hobbits were dancing and drinking, except Frodo. He seems to be disconnected from the rest of his friends and family, his life before the LOTR journey. 

I can't remember exactly what Frodo said but its was something along the line that he can no longer go back to his old life nor he knows how to move on after going through such a painful yet so magnificent and life altering journey. Well, as usual, I have to google for it and this is the exact words of Frodo:
".....We were home. How do you pick up the threads of an old life? How do you go on... when in your heart you begin to understand... there is no going back? There are some things that time cannot mend... some hurts that go too deep... that have taken hold. Bilbo once told me his part in this tale would end... that each of us must come and go in the telling. Bilbo's story was now over. There would be no more journeys for him... save one. 
My dear Sam. You cannot always be torn in two. You will have to be one and whole for many years. You have so much to enjoy and to be and to do. Your part in the story will go on."
Back then, I didn't really quite understand what is the significant of the name Bilbo mentioned by Frodo at that scene. But after watching Bilbo's story nearly 10 years after, now I finally see the connection. Bilbo was the first hobbit to embark on such a journey! They went through the same adventure that one would never imagine a hobbit would experience. They went through the same struggle and burden of carrying the ring. And at the end of the journey, both of them did not and could not go back to their old life. Strange enough, somehow I was able to recognize why they felt and acted that way. At the end of such a great journey, one will inevitably succumb into one of these two scenarios: either he spends the rest of the days living in the shadows of that journey, reminiscence those moments knowing the fact that the rest of his life will never experience the magnitude of such a journey again. Or to be overly contented with the achievement of the conquest. Knowing he is and will always be different from others, he spends his life waiting for another peak which big chances that it never comes. 

Of course I never experience a magnitude of such a great event/ journey in the past 30 years in my life. But sometimes I wonder, as I'm passing the gate of "30 years old" this year, should I just leave my youthful days behind, contented with the fact that there will be no more "wild and young" journey ahead, and move on with living the life of a normal 30 years old married woman should be. Is there any possibilities that I can still achieve another heights in my life?

Anyway, its a thought for another day. 

Leave you with the Hobbit theme song from Ed Sheeren, I see fire. Enjoy!



Oh, misty eye of the mountain below
Keep careful watch of my brothers' souls
And should the sky be filled with fire and smoke
Keep watching over Durin's son

If this is to end in fire
Then we shall all burn together
Watch the flames climb high into the night
Calling out father, stand by and we will
Watch the flames burn auburn on the mountain side

And if we should die tonight
Then we should all die together
Raise a glass of wine for the last time
Calling out father, prepare as we will
Watch the flames burn auburn on the mountain side
Desolation comes upon the sky

Now I see fire, inside the mountainI see fire, burning the trees
And I see fire, hollowing souls
I see fire, blood in the breeze
And I hope that you'll remember me

Oh, should my people fall
Then surely I'll do the same
Confined in mountain halls
We got too close to the flame
Calling out father hold fast and we will
Watch the flames burn auburn on the mountain side
Desolation comes upon the sky

Now I see fire, inside the mountain
I see fire, burning the trees
I see fire, hollowing souls
I see fire, blood in the breeze
And I hope that you'll remember me

And if the night is burning
I will cover my eyes
For if the dark returns then
My brothers will die
And as the sky's falling down
It crashed into this lonely town
And with that shadow upon the ground
I hear my people screaming out

Now I see fire, inside the mountain
I see fire, burning the trees
I see fire, hollowing souls
I see fire, blood in the breeze

I see fire, oh you know I saw a city burning (fire)
I see fire, feel the heat upon my skin (fire)
And I see fire (fire)
And I see fire burn auburn on the mountain side

1 comment:

Xav_Kim said...

haha... Su su, why u keep remind us u ar 30 yrs old aunty jor. Pls remind me when ur birthday is approaching, love to join the party.
Kim