Saturday, September 22, 2012

Its only a means, no biggie

I was in the office 630am yesterday morning. It was eerily quiet as the rest of the world is still sleeping, but I have a task to focus on - to get the work done before my boss step in at 9am. It was a precious 2 and half hours which I really enjoyed. Sometimes I would work in the dark, because the serenity reminds me that I'm all by myself. Have you ever experience the quietness of a place devoid of human presence, when usually its always full of people and their sound of chattering? The stark contrast makes the silent appear to be even more silent. That's when my mind is crystal clear, and my productivity is at its best. If I manage to clear all the task before 830pm, I'll get to sit back and enjoy a cup of hot coffee. 

The smell of the aroma in an empty office, that's the way I like it.


Despite of all the crap my boss is giving me, I'm still enjoy my job in a moment like this. Am not saying that I love my job nor I'm a blissfully contented employee. I'm just being practical, if you can't do anything to change it, you might as well enjoy it. 

To be totally honest, it used to bug me alot that I don't really like my job, but somewhere along the line I have come to terms with myself that I need not to be totally in love with my job in order for me to do it. Many have touted about loving the job you do or do the job you love, but maybe its really not such a big deal after all. I don't know how many people are aspired to achieve that, but even for an idealist like me I have to admit that loving your job is not as important as what we've been led to believe. Of course there can be one in a millions like Mark Zuckerberg, those minority who are lucky to find the work they love that also support their lifestyle  But for you and me, those who works day in and out to make ends meet, job is just a means, its not your entire life. 

I used to look for the perfect job, job which i think I can excel and shines like a star, yet totally passionate about it. But it was a futile effort and I think many would agree with with me. No job will be ever perfect, if you found the job from the right profession, you would crave for the right boss, when you found the right boss, you would crave for right colleagues, then right career advancement, right environment, right pay, and even the coffee the tea lady serve you would have to be right as well. 

There is this un named friend and shall remain un named that once said that he had lost his direction in life as he is no longer passionate about his job. But again, does being passionate about the job fulfills our lives? So I did not landed my dream job, but that still didnt stop me from finding enjoyment in my work. I took pride in the output of my work and was genuinely happy when my boss acknowledged the fact that I'm doing my best. And if you ask me why I'm putting effort in something which i didn't love, its because we all need the moolah to make a living, and money is a means for me to do things which are far more important in life, like travelling to places I never been before, buying the book I like, pamper myself occasionally with girls night out. And that defines my life, not my job. Not passionate about my job does not make my life less fulfilling nor make me a lesser person compare to those who passionate about their job. 

Anyway, enough of the mental fart, I need to go back to my work before I can enjoy my cup of coffee and talk about fulfilling my life which doesnt involves anything to do with job. 

1 comment:

atlantisian said...

Am re-posting comments from Audrey, because am disabling the nuffnangx comment system.

Audrey
How very true =D I used to have the same idealistic view that I need to find a job that I love, but as time goes I find myself in the same situation as you too. Don't really like my job, but it's a means to an end. And after accepting it, I find myself beginning to look for things that I enjoy doing despite my lack of love for the job..and it's more tolerable now =)

Atlantisian: Completely agreed!