Friday, October 08, 2010

On choosing best man and bridesmaid

Peter and I had a 'constructive debate' a few days ago when we talked about choosing our bridesmaid and best men. For me its a no-brainer exercise, the numbers of girlfriends i have can be counted by fingers, minus out those who are not in Malaysia (yes, thats you, ky), who had already/going to get married, obviously the only one who is available is Jv (Hahahaha, am joking Jv, please don't be mad and ditch me on the aisle, you are the first one came into my mind when i thought about my bridesmaid).

So, mission accomplished.

Peter's part was a bit more complicated. Apparently he got three candidates. His first choice was our matchmaker, the second one is his yum char kaki and third one is his ex college mate. It was a long discussion, whether this person is a better candidate compare to the other person, whether will he felt obliged if we asked, or maybe he will be too busy to do this etc. Well, i must said its funny to see the way Peter do his mental calculation over this.

Anyway, my point is how come i can choose my bridesmaid as easy as pie, but its a hell lot difficult to choose the best man.

I think women and men are really earth and sky, when i asked my girlfriend whether she want to become my bridesmaid or not, she was smiling like a chesire cat and 100 times more excited than the bride herself. But for guys, guys are just COOL about it, cool like ice lemon tea (insider joke). They wont send you "100 guides to wedding".pdf during office hour, they are not concern about the color theme of the wedding, they dont asked whether have you started any facial treatment or not.

*At this point, Peter was protesting loudly: "Imagine if my best man come and ask me: 'bro, what can i do for you, blah blah blah... OMG i am so excited!". Well, the thought of THAT gives him goosebumps all over.

So i went googled, and found out there are so many guides on how to choose a best man. So here comes the checklist:

1. Would he be happy to accept the duty
2. Does he have the ability and enthusiasm to carry out the detailed talk of organizing the event.
3. Can he make a speech to a large group of people?
4. Is he quick to deal with any emergency? Can he handle any slip ups that may occur
5. Can you rely on him to safeguard the ring, will he remember where he kept them?
6. Does he get along well with the bride?
7. Is he available to take part in the ceremony? does he have time to help in the pre planning?

I was laughing my heads off when i saw point 5. its hilarious. I think i should i ask this questions to Peter's best man.

8 comments:

Dorcas said...

hhaha, happy planning for your wedding!! sent me the invites yeah, you dun know i may suprise you.

Xav_Kim said...

RED bombing here, bombing there. I wonder why so many ppl insist to enter the graveyard of marriage. Perhaps, cemetery is right choice gua...
For me, the most difficult task in this world is to be "BEST MAN". U have to liaise with tonnes of messy things and millions of ppl from different background who are expecting u to be a competent guy in managing a wedding ceremony. Somemore, u ar not get married yet!!! What the hell i know bout marriage and wedding planning hahaahha....

Anonymous said...

hey!!!! u said the first person in mind is jv...not me!!! i protest! i shall not even try to attend ur wedding *sulking with folded arms*

:(((

Dorcas said...

dear kim, try to put yourself in the position of the maid of honour!! she have to help plan the wedding ( which is not hers ) from head to tail, constantly being asked about what flower is nicer, what colour, which dress, and then she have to plan the hens night, help our with invites and the worst help to arrange table seating etc etc. at least "Best Man" is still man, but brides maid is really a MAID!!! hehe.
Sue, Be kind to your maid!!!!

Xav_Kim said...

Dorcas, absolutely agreed.Even though I'm single, it doesn't mean we shall serve these happy-to-be couple. If u really attend Susu's wedding, pls let me know early, I can bring u jalan2,makan2 and minum2.
KY, I'm sure u will come back. If I not mistaken, wedding on July,2011. Then, i can make order ;p

chloe-kohyee said...

kim,wat makes u think i'll DEFINITELY be back? ru paying for my flight tickets?if so, please make it a business class ticket so that i can take 30-40kg with me to accommodate ur orders :D

JeSS said...

Happy planning...send me the invites too mabe i can travel with my bb gal by that time.

haha...it's a headache decision for me when it's comes to choosing best man and bride maid, that's eplain why i skip this part during my wedding two yr past.i have lots girlfren while eddie best friend is in japan, so we only have flower girl and a ring bearer.

wenn said...

ya..choose someone trustworthy n responsible..